Letters for digits sum
Justin Thyme
2015-09-23 12:39:33 UTC
On the wireless this am (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yb2vg).
TEA + ATE + EAT = BUNS
John Francis
2015-09-23 16:15:39 UTC
Post by Justin Thyme
On the wireless this am (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yb2vg).
TEA + ATE + EAT = BUNS
Well, that's pretty easy.

The LHS has the same three digits in each position,
so the sum is going to be some multiple of 111.

Three different digits will add up to some value
less than or equal to 24, so we only have at most
24 multiples of 111 to look at to see which ones
are four-digit numbers containing no repeated digits.

It turns out that there is exactly one candidate;

19 x 111 = 2109.

So BUNS is 2109, and A,E and T add up to 19.

A, E and T are, in some order, either 4,7,8 or 5,6,8.
Justin Thyme
2015-09-23 16:16:59 UTC
Post by Justin Thyme
On the wireless this am (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yb2vg).
TEA + ATE + EAT = BUNS
It has been pointed out to me elsewhere that B,U,N,S can be determined
but T,E,A cannot (clearly they permute with one another).